Sometimes people baffle me. I received the following review for a one-shot collection I’m working on which amounts to an AU for both Teen Titans/Young Justice.
Are the teen titans going to be involved at all?
So far, I’ve only published four one-shots.
- The first one takes place in Titan Tower and mostly involves Speedy, and setting his character up for later one-shots, but also how he ends up interacting with the Teen Titans in later one-shots. However, had the person actually read the one-shot, they would know that Starfire showed up in that particular one-shot.
- The second one involves Robin visiting a recuperating Cyborg, but also some discussion of what’s going on with the other Titans.
- The third one is about Robin forming a friendship with Wally after the disbanding of Teen Titans.
- The forth one is about Robin revealing his identity to Wally. Originally, the third and forth one-shot were going to be one single one-shot, but together these two one-shots total over 10k, and each stood on their own.
Truth of the matter is, a former Titan has been involved in every single one-shot so far, although Robin is a character that belongs in both continuities. Starfire shows up in the first chapter, Cyborg shows up in the second, and Raven is marked as one of the character tags for this particular fic. There is also a mentioning of the group every chapter so far. Sure, they’re indirect references, but that doesn’t mean the Titans aren’t involved with the story.
I decided to delete this one. My reason for deleting comes down to the fact I am suspicious the reader didn’t bother reading anything I wrote, but may think I’m going to jump right into one-shots where the Titans are a part of the team despite not having done proper set up.
One-Shots I’ve Written
- Circus Freaks – Roy’s not to impressed with the Teen Titans.
- What Adults Do – Robin is visiting Cyborg, and also what happens to the Titans.
- Playdate – First playdate between Wally and Robin.
- Identity – Robin reveals his identity to Wally.
- I am Batman Quoth the Raven – Very random one-shot involving a Teen Titans era sleepover between Robin and Raven where they drive Batman and Batgirl up the wall with some surprising twists. Still working on writing this one.
One Shots I Plan to Write
- Beast Boy hates his new mentor.
- Starfire hates her new mentor.
- Raven has no new mentor, but is worried about Robin.
- Robin reflects on his own secrets, and Roy rants about the stupidity of the Teen Titans and how he hopes they’ll never be a part of the team. Teen Titans is an off topic subject, yet Wally’s figured out Robin is the former leader even though the other guys don’t know. Instead of getting a girl right away, it takes time. Miss Martian is being introduced another way as well. Her introduction is meant to occur during BtC.
- Roy hates their mentor Zartana. (No, I’m not making her the same age as Robin. She’s actually the oldest, and already a member of the JL.)
- Raven shows up, Roy leaves because of her past. This ties into number five.
- Cyborg eventually does show back up, but I want to do some one-shots before that.
- Robin’s birthday for appearances, inspired by one-shot number four.
- Robin and Wally get to go snowboarding.
- More one-shots involving James Gordon, but Robin and Raven talking about the bullying. Nash (who is the father of Nash from Batman Beyond) is there as is Andy Mallory, borrowing from other continuims.)
- Koldur being asked to look over the Teen Titans records to find out Ray’s judgement was off, but his was spot on for someone else.
- An alternative first mission where Robin decides he doesn’t want to be leader before Raven which may end up being a one-shot that is just LJ with references to the Teen Titans.
- An AU to the “just Koldur” involving … well, spoils if I go into that. 🙂
- Artimus and Raven bonding.
- AU to how Roy finds out he is a clone.
- And others as I come up with ideas. Mostly, these are a few to set up the AU setting so I can write BtT and BtJ which turned out to be more integral to BtC, which is integral to BtN.
- Beyond the Night – Terry’s time frame.
- Beyond the Night: Beyond the Cave – Terry’s alternate history.
- Beyodn the Night: Beyond the Grave – Terry’s little brother’s alternate history.
- Beyond the Night: Beyond the Talons – A story with an AU version of Talon and League of Owls, but also Dick’s process of becoming Nightwing.
- Beyond the Night: Beyond the Joker – A story involving Jason Todd’s death for this particular continuum.
- Beyond the Night: Beyond the Dream – Something I realized wouldn’t work as a one-shot.
This isn’t some simple idea in my head. Then again, when have I ever done simple.